Monday, April 4, 2011

It's Okay, I Don't Like Carbs Anyway *SOB*

It's Day One of our 14-Day No Carb Challenge.
Overall, I'm a firm believer in "everything in moderation" when it comes to food. However, Tom and I can't really deny that when we cut refined carbs (breads, sugars, pasta, etc.) we feel better and lose weight. To that end, we are trying a two-week carbohydrate intolerance test, as set out by Phil Maffetone.
To be clear, this is not a diet per se. The site tells you NOT to pursue this meal plan beyond the two week period. It is designed to see how you feel when you completely eliminate carbs (and that includes "good" food, like yogurt and fruit for example). If you feel better after the two weeks, you can slowly reintroduce servings of carbohydrates until you feel poorly again, resulting in a sustainable level of carbs that your body can handle.
FOOD WE CAN'T HAVE:
·         Breads, pastas, sugars, and other refined carbs
·         Fruit
·         Yogurt and skim dairy products
·         Potatoes
·         Corn
·         Rice
·         Beans
FOOD WE CAN HAVE:
·         Eggs
·         Cheese
·         Heavy cream
·         Unprocessed meat
·         Squash, lettuce, carrots, broccoli
·         Nuts, seeds
·         Oils, vinegar, mayo, salsa, mustard
·         Coffee (yay!) and tea
The idea is that by eating full-fat dairy, nuts, cheese, and oils, you'll be fuller longer, and won't crave carbs (we'll see about THAT).
FOOD FOR TODAY:
Breakfast – Two egg omelette with mushrooms
Snack – Celery and cream cheese
Lunch – Grilled chicken salad with oil and vinegar dressing
Snack – Cashews and almonds
Dinner – Low-Carb Lasagna

EDITED BECAUSE I FORGOT - EXERCISE:

26km bike (stationary)

2 comments:

  1. Two days in, I bet you would kill me for a snickers bar about now :P

    I've actually been doing the primal diet (or "paleo" diet if you're douchey) for about 2 months and I feel great! I don't really miss bread or pasta that much, although I do indulge in the occasional montreal-style bagel.

    Seriously, don't touch my bagels I will CUT YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would kill you for a bagel. And a snickers bar.

    What's the primal diet consist of? I demand blog-style explanation post!

    ReplyDelete